Dan Batzel, BSC Group’s lead production chemist, has more outstanding accolades than we have space to list them. After completing his Ph.D. in Chemistry from Case Western Reserve University and a BS in Chemistry from Wilkes College, Dan began his career as a Senior Research Chemist for Dow Chemical. He has since held technical leadership positions at various companies including a specialty chemicals corporation, an aerospace and defense corporation, and a synthetic biology startup, before transitioning his expertise into the cannabis space.
In 2015, Dan accepted a position with Revolution Enterprises, a Medical Cannabis facility in Illinois. Here he designed, equipped, hired and trained staff for the extraction lab and industrial kitchens within two new 75,000 sq ft integrated cultivation facilities. In 2016 he began consulting independently, and currently specializes in artisanal and factory lab and kitchen equipment selection, layout optimization, lowest cost to manufacture, extraction-purification, workplace safety, and SOP writing. He also has a great selection of recreational and medicinal formulas at his disposal.
Specifically, Dr. Batzel is an ideal candidate to assist within the following practice areas:
- EH&S for the Cannabis Workplace (OSHA and EPA compliance and best industrial safety practices and training, personal protective equipment, NFPA flammable solvent, compressed gas and LP gas safety and compliance, RCRA and non-RCRA Waste disposal, respirator programs, OSHA 300/301 log).
- Factory and Artisanal Scale Extraction-Purification (facility layout and construction management, lab furniture and engineering safety controls (snorkels, hoods, extraction hutches, etc.), complete equipment selection and setup, cost modeling).
- Factory and Artisanal Scale MIP Production (facility layout and construction management, complete equipment selection and setup for all types of formulations/recipes, cost modeling).
- Independent Cannabis Testing Lab equipment selection and lab startup (microbial, cannabinoid, terpene, moisture, water activity, pesticide, foreign objects, statistical sampling).
- New Medical and Recreational Formulations
- Lobbying strategies to achieve long range objectives
- Compliance Audits and training on operational compliance
- Overall Extraction process strategy (butane vs. CO2 vs. ethanol)
Dan’s passion for his work has fueled the innovative products and breakthroughs he has made in his field. He has synthesized, isolated, purified, formulated or analyzed just about all of the major classes of compounds. For clients seeking to develop new product formulations, if we can conceive it, Dan can formulate it.
In addition to being a sought after speaker, Dr. Batzel is inventor or co-inventor of 17 US patents, and has co-authored 20+ publications. Working along BSC’s Chief Education Officer, Dan is well suited to provide instructional sessions covering best practices for laboratory settings and compliance. Dan is a unique, invaluable asset to BSC Group and to the cannabis community.